Corn and Pepper Chowder Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in oil until tender. Stir in flour and cumin until blended. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the potatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Add corn and milk. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 170 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 562 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.