Corn and Pepper Chowder Recipe
Chunks of potato, kernels of corn and flecks of red pepper punctuate the creamy broth of this hearty chowder. Cilantro and cumin lend a Southwestern flavor. "I go this recipe from someone I work with. It's quick and tasty," notes Donna Hackman of Bedford, Virginia.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in oil until tender. Stir in flour and cumin until blended. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the potatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Add corn and milk. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Garnish with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 170 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fat-free milk.
Reviews for Corn and Pepper Chowder
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC