Corn and Ham Stew Recipe
When I was a little girl, my grandmother would use homegrown vegetables to prepare this old-fashioned stew. I was thrilled when she passed the family recipe on to me.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups fresh, canned or frozen corn
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onion, green pepper, ham and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and add to ham mixture. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes and squash are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 429 calories, 25 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 959 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC