Barley is an over-looked grain but it is so delicious and easy to work with. This relish highlights barley with corn and peppers.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced green or sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a saucepan, combine water, barley and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn; simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, basil, pepper and remaining salt; shake well. Pour over warm barley mixture and toss to coat. Chill for 30 minutes. Gently fold in tomatoes, green pepper and onions. Chill for 2-3 hours. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Corn and Barley Relish in Country Woman July/August 1999, p40
Reviews for Corn and Barley Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review