Corn and Asparagus Medley
—Millie Vickery, Lena, Illinois
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Add asparagus; simmer
- 3-5 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in the vinegar,
- Worcestershire sauce, thyme and ginger. Add carrots, asparagus,
- water chestnuts and parsley. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce) equals 122 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.