This recipe has become such a reliable standby for me that it's expected and welcomes by my friends. This dish can be served chilled for a salad or warm for a side dish. Either way it's always a hit. This can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for a few days.—Agnes Circello, Belle Rose, Louisiana
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the carrots just until crisp-tender; drain. Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add carrots and stir until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least 3-4 hours.
- Serve cold as a salad, or warm it and use as a side dish. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Copper Pennies in Reminisce March/April 1993, p45
Reviews for Copper Pennies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review