Copper Carrot Salad Recipe
This colorful quick-to-fix salad has been made by my family for many years. My mom, Jean Hamm, shared the recipe so I could have it in my wedding dinner.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 5 pounds carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place carrots in a Dutch oven. Add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Drain; rinse in cold water.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine green peppers, onion and carrots; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes. Pour over carrot mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 16 servings.
1/2 cup equals 278 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC