It's easy to crave soup-even on a hot day-when it's chilled and filled with the fresh flavors of summer. Serve a tomatoey batch as an appetizer or a side for a main dish salad. —Wendy Nickel, Kiester, Minnesota
Recommended: Classic Homemade Soup Recipes
- 4 cups tomato juice, divided
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 medium green pepper, quartered
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, quartered
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups cubed bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fat-free sour cream, fat-free croutons and parsley, optional
- In a blender, cover and process 1 cup tomato juice and half of the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onion, garlic and thyme until chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat.
- Place vinegar and remaining tomato juice in the blender. Add the bread; cover and process until smooth. Add to vegetable mixture; stir in oil and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Garnish with sour cream, croutons and parsley if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cool Tomato Soup in Country Woman June/July 2008, p39
Reviews for Cool Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review