Juicy slices of this tender meat loaf are wonderful served with a homemade sweet-and-sour sauce. It's an easy way to fix supper, especially when the weather is too hot to turn on the oven. Plus, cleanup is a breeze because you just toss out the foil pans. -Susan Taul, Birmingham, Alabama
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two loaves; place each loaf in a disposable 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover with foil.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Spoon over meat loaves before serving. Yield: 2 loaves (3 servings each).
Originally published as Cool-Kitchen Meat Loaf in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p27
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Cool-Kitchen Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review