Cool Beans Salad
This protein-filled dish could be served as a colorful side dish or a meatless main entree. When you make it, double the recipe because it will be gone in a flash! The basmati rice add a unique flavor and the dressing gives it a bit of a tang. —Janelle Lee, Appleton, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small
- bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients; pour over salad and toss to
- coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 440 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 12 g protein.