- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup coarsely crushed Oreo cookies (about 8)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whole and crushed Oreo cookies, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Gently fold in crushed cookies.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat the shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla in another large bowl until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. If desired, decorate the top with whole cookies and the sides with crushed cookies. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cookies-and-Cream Cake
"I've made this cake a couple of times for birthdays. It was a big hit with my twelve-year-old and her friends. The recipe is easy to follow and the finished product looks great!"
"I LOVED this cake and it was pretty easy to put together. I took it to work and my co-workers went crazy over it. The only thing different I did to save time was to use store-bought frosting."
"This really is quite good. I just followed the recipe on the back of the box. I used butter instead of the shortening and even added half a block of cream cheese.FYI - Using egg whites have nothing to do with the colour of the cake. Using egg whites is just a healthier option."
"Made this for my grandson's birthday to him it was excellent. I had to make another one for the rest of the family he did not share only with 4 of his college friends it was a hit. Thank-you"
"I recall making this cake when it was featured in Taste of Home-in fact, I believe that I'd prepared it at least a couple of times! I HAVE adjusted this recipe: by using: 1-1/3 cup cold water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 3 egg whites, 1 cup (at least 10) coarsely chopped Oreo sandwich cookies, 4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable shortening and 1/4 cup milk, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, additional cream-filled chocolate Oreo sandwich cookies, halved and crushed for garnish. If time is short, use just 1 16-oz. tub of whipped white frosting and about 1/4 cup milk. TIP: I've learned to just use enough milk to make a suitable spreading consistency! When I'd baked this cake, I'd taken it to our chapel and it was enjoyed very much! This recipe is DEFINITELY a keeper! Thank you, Pat Habiger, for taking the time to prepare and share your recipe! delowenstein"