- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg yolks, water and lemon juice; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion to fit the bottom and sides of a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Arrange apples over crust. Combine the sugar, cornflakes, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apples.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over apples. Seal edges; cut slits in top. Brush with egg white. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Cookie Sheet Apple Pie
"I was rather interested in how this would turn out with the use of corn flakes, lemon juice and egg yolks - but it was really great. I took it to a fall BBQ and it got raves. I liked everything about this dish and will defiantly make it again. The only thing I did differently was add some sugar to the crust dough and I rolled it out moist, instead of letting it set up in the refrigerator. Mined turned out just like the photo and was great to share with a lot of people."