What a welcome gift these fun frosted ornaments will make. But beware…the ginger-flavored cookies are so appetizing, they might never make it to the tree! —Patricia Slater, Baldwin, Ontario
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring and colored sprinkles, optional
- In a bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, salt and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Using a floured spatula, place cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. With a straw, make a hole about 1/2 in. from the top of each cookie. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Frost cookies. Decorate with tinted frosting and colored sprinkles if desired. Let dry completely. Thread ribbon or string through holes. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cookie Ornaments in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p45
Reviews for Cookie Ornaments
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review