Cookie Jar Gingersnaps
"My grandma kept two cookie jars in her pantry. One of the jars, which I now have, always had these crisp and chewy gingersnaps in it," recalls Deb Handy of Pomona, Kansas. "They're still my favorite. My 11-year-old daughter, Becky, used this recipe for a 4-H fair and won a blue ribbon."
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda,
- ginger, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix
- Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Dip one side into
- sugar; place sugar side up 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and
- crinkly. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 92 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.