- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, combine next five ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape level tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Dip one side into remaining sugar; place 2 in. apart, sugary side up, on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned and crinkly, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Cookie Jar Gingersnaps
"Made it with coconut sugar. Dipped in refined sugar for the outer crunch. Really good!"
"Can butter be used in place of shortening?"
"These are good anytime of the year!!! Will make these again for sure!"
"Big hit! Everyone loved and wanted the recipe."
"Absolutely scrumptious and delicious! Bringing to school for my students. Very soft and easy to make."
"just got the magazine, made these cookies, YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will have to double the recipe next time, thanks"
"I can't say it better than anyone else. These are simply the best cookies I have ever had."
"These are fantastic! I had been looking for a good gingersnap recipe and have tried a couple but been really disappointed. No more - this one is a keeper!! Made some yesterday and will probably have to make again today; they were that good!"