- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, combine next five ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape level tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Dip one side into remaining sugar; place 2 in. apart, sugary side up, on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned and crinkly, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Cookie Jar Gingersnaps
"Big hit! Everyone loved and wanted the recipe."
"Absolutely scrumptious and delicious! Bringing to school for my students. Very soft and easy to make."
"just got the magazine, made these cookies, YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will have to double the recipe next time, thanks"
"I can't say it better than anyone else. These are simply the best cookies I have ever had."
"These are fantastic! I had been looking for a good gingersnap recipe and have tried a couple but been really disappointed. No more - this one is a keeper!! Made some yesterday and will probably have to make again today; they were that good!"
"Would give these cookies 10 stars if I could! These have been favorites in our family since the recipe was published back in 1994. When our six kids were growing up, I baked nearly every day because their friends came home with them. Now that we're down to a household of three, this cookie is still requested! Was hitting the panic button because I couldn't find it!"
"This cookie recipe is exactly what I was looking for! They look wonderful and taste even better. Yummy perfection!"
"I baked these cookies this fall and gave some to a friend. Needless to say she said they were the best she has ever tasted and of course requested the recipe! Excellent cookies!"
"Have made these for years now...and still our favorite!"