- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, combine next five ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape level tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Dip one side into remaining sugar; place 2 in. apart, sugary side up, on greased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned and crinkly, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Cookie Jar Gingersnaps
"I can't say it better than anyone else. These are simply the best cookies I have ever had."
"These are fantastic! I had been looking for a good gingersnap recipe and have tried a couple but been really disappointed. No more - this one is a keeper!! Made some yesterday and will probably have to make again today; they were that good!"
"Would give these cookies 10 stars if I could! These have been favorites in our family since the recipe was published back in 1994. When our six kids were growing up, I baked nearly every day because their friends came home with them. Now that we're down to a household of three, this cookie is still requested! Was hitting the panic button because I couldn't find it!"
"This cookie recipe is exactly what I was looking for! They look wonderful and taste even better. Yummy perfection!"
"I baked these cookies this fall and gave some to a friend. Needless to say she said they were the best she has ever tasted and of course requested the recipe! Excellent cookies!"