Cooked Salad Dressing
This was my mother's recipe used for potato salad, green salads and even pasta salad.
For some tasty variations, you may add up to 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, honey or garlic to the basic recipe.Doreen Martin, Kitimat, British Columbia
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Torn mixed salad greens
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Stir
- in egg until smooth. Gradually add vinegar and water. Cook and stir
- over medium heat for 3 minutes or until mixture reaches at least
- 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir
- in mayonnaise until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve with salad greens. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 113 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.