Cooked Fruit Salad Dressing
My mother handed this recipe down to me, and it has never failed to receive raves from my guests, especially the men. They enjoy it so much that they always put huge servings on their salads, so I rarely have leftovers!
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Set pineapple aside for salad.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the pineapple
- juice, orange juice and lemon juice. Add egg, mix well. Cook over
- medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and
- bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the
- heat and stir in butter. Cover and chill. Serve over a mixture of
- fresh or canned fruit. Yield: about 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 65 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.