Contest-Winning Wild Rice Apple Salad Recipe
"We have an apple orchard in our family, so I'm always looking for ways to use the fruit," writes Elaine Stichter of Milford, Indiana. "This crisp and crunchy dish is one of my favorite salads. Sometimes I double the batch so I have leftovers!"
- 2/3 cup cooked wild rice, chilled
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped apple
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons dried currants
- 1 teaspoon sunflower kernels
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Dash salt
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the wild rice, apple, celery, currants and sunflower kernels. In another bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients. Drizzle over rice mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
3/4 cup equals 130 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC