Contest-Winning Watermelon Salsa Recipe
- 2 cups seeded finely chopped watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, onion, peppers and herbs. Drizzle with honey and lime juice; gently toss to coat.
- 2. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips. Yield: 3 cups.
1/4 cup: 22 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Watermelon Salsa
"Change #1- I don't do cilantro. I am in the "tastes like soap" camp. I used parsley instead. The other two changes were minor- yellow bell pepper for the red, and little baby cucumbers that I left the peels on. Easy, delicious and a wonderful change from traditional salsa, thank you so much to Carolyn B for sharing the recipe!"
"Very different and refreshing. I will make this again!"
"I had such high hopes for this recipe because I LOVE fruit/salsa.... unfortunately, it was just missing something and I was NOT a fan... even more unfortunate... not anyone at the party I took it to was a fan either.... it's a good thing I had brought other apps! Won't make this again..."
"Very crisp and refreshing! My entire family just loved this salsa. Would definitely make over and over again."
"Took it to a wine festival to share for a picnic lunch. It got rave reviews. I used the leftovers to put on grilled tilapia a couple of evenings later...delish!"
"A great new way to use watermelon! I thought it seemed strange while I was making it, but tasted great and got lots of compliments. Will surely make again."
"SO GOOD! It was a nice change for our family cookout."
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.