- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup each minced fresh cilantro and parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, saute zucchini, onions and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, jalapeno and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Vegetarian Chili
Sort By :
"My family and I thought this vegetarian chili was out of this world!!! Plan to make it on a regular basis. I may try a version with more jalapenos down the road."
"For anyone who thought it looked too tomato-y, I thought so, too. But don't adjust - once you get everything added and the flavors blended, it's good. I did add less chili and in fact, used chipotle because I like their smoked flavor."
"This was tasty but VERY spicy."
"It was ok nice and spicy but way too tomatoes. Not sure how to change that."
"I love this recipe I make it all the time . I double the Zuchinie . Just before serving I cut up a Avacadoe and add it to my bowl of Chili. It the perfect finishing touch! . Try it you will be hooked :-)"