Contest-Winning Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup each minced fresh cilantro and parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, saute zucchini, onions and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, jalapeno and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Vegetarian Chili
Sort By :
"This was just average at best to me. I followed the recipe exactly, only cutting it in half. It tasted blandish and didnt have enough liquid. I ended up adding a cup of water. By then the texture was way off and even more bland. I really had to doctor this up after that. I have made a lot of vegetarian chilis and was surprised this one just wasnt so flavorful, made as is, as others I have made. I actually like all of the ingredients in it. They just didnt come together so well as a chili."
"Really good!!! The only mistake I made was not putting in the full jalapeno. My husband is not a spicy-fan so I put in half... definitely should have put in the whole thing! With the chili powder and half the jal, it was spicy but not overwhelming in the slightest. The whole jal would have been fine. :) But other than that, the recipe was so good! Oh, I added a can of chick peas because I love them! :)"
"This is my first time making a veggie chilli. I took it to school and shared it with my classmates. It was a huge hit. I had no idea it would have turned out so well, but the chilli was simply amazing. I tweeked it just a smidge but wow phenomenal !!!!"
"Everyone in the family loved this. Very hearty dish. I served over brown rice and left out jalapenos b/c my kids don't like spicy. Great recipe."
"I didn't have any Italian stewed tomatoes, so I substituted it with Italian stewed zucchini and extra tomato sauce (I was bummed that I didn't have any regular tomatoes, either. :(...)To add a little more kick, I added about 1/2 teaspoon of paprika. I also doubled the amount of beans and added some chopped mushrooms.I liked the outcome, even though there were plenty of deviations from the original recipe. I served these with tortilla chips, eh. I'd make it again."