- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, saute zucchini, onions and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Vegetarian Chili
"First time I have made a vegetarian chili and it was AMAZING! I loved it and so did my husband and our new vegetarian foreign exchange student. I made a few adjustments. For the tomatoes I used one diced and one crushed since that is what I had and then added 1 1/2 t. Italian seasoning to it to make up the seasoning. I don't like too hot so I skipped the jalapeno pepper. Other than that I follow the recipe as is. It does make a lot of chili but we look forward to eating it!! :)"
"Really enjoyed this full-flavoured chili! Nice and thick and great with sour cream, cilantro, and cheese on top!"
"My family and I thought this vegetarian chili was out of this world!!! Plan to make it on a regular basis. I may try a version with more jalapenos down the road."
"For anyone who thought it looked too tomato-y, I thought so, too. But don't adjust - once you get everything added and the flavors blended, it's good. I did add less chili and in fact, used chipotle because I like their smoked flavor."
"This was tasty but VERY spicy."