My husband and I try to have at least one vegetarian meal each week, and this is one of our favorites. The recipe makes a large pot of chili that's chock-full of color and flavor. Once the chopping is done, it's quick to cook. —Marilyn Barilleaux Bothell, Washington
- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup each minced fresh cilantro and parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, saute zucchini, onions and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, jalapeno and seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetarian Chili in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p27
Reviews for Contest-Winning Vegetarian Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review