Contest-Winning Vegetable Soup with Dumplings Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 cup frozen peas
- CARROT DUMPLINGS:
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cold water
- 10 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the onions, carrots and celery in oil for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cabbage and peas.
- 3. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine baking mix, carrots and parsley. Stir in water until moistened. Drop in 10 mounds onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Garnish with cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
1-1/4 cups soup with 1 dumpling and 1 tablespoon cheese equals 258 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 826 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.