Contest-Winning Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Meet the Cook: When I prepare these sweet potatoes, I like to serve them with ham. Those two different tastes always team really well. In 35 years together, my husband's eaten lots of my "accidents"! We have three children and four grandchildren. -Miriam Christophel, Battle Creek, Michigan
- 6 large sweet potatoes (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Bake at 375° for 40-60 minutes or until tender. Let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.Cut them in half lengthwise; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell.
- 2. Place pulp in a large bowl. Add orange juice. Melt 3 tablespoons butter; add to pulp and beat until smooth. Stuff the potato shells; place in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and mace. Cut in remaining butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over potatoes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 189 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC