Contest-Winning Three-Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 201 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Three-Bean Soup
"I love the way the non fat refried beans thIckened the whole soup! I'm sensitive to too hot and spicy food, but I still like a mild kick for interest. I omitted the salsa, which I didn't have and used green chili refried beans instead. I also didn't have the green pepper, so I chopped up kale in its place. Delicious and nutritious!"
"Correcting an error... Prep Time/Cook Time: All together was about 45 minutes for me."
"This soup was quite delish, and quite spicy.But I also used a good quality brand of chili powder, and a medium tasting salsa. At first I thought the 4 cloves of garlic would of been a bit much, but it wasn't. When saute'ing the vegetables, I added 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan, plus I added another teaspoon just before adding the minced garlic. I like that this soup was high in fber, but I did add 1 tablespoon of Flax Seed for more added fiber. I also threw in 2 handfuls of frozen corn kernels just before bringing the soup to a boil. The added corn was a nice touch to the soup! Prep time for me was about 45 minutes. Joni, this soup was excellant. My hubby enjoyed it too! I look forward to making this soup often, as it's a keeper!"
"Amazing flavor, texture and heartiness!"
"This soup is excellent! Its spicy and full of flavor! Definitely recommend to anyone!"
"Great recipe! My family loves it. It's easy to prepare, and I double it for plenty of leftovers."