Contest-Winning Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet potato (14 ounces), peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- MANGO CHUTNEY MAYONNAISE:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash salt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, cayenne and pepper. Cut sweet potato into 1/4-in. strips. Add to egg mixture, a few at a time, and toss to coat. Add to the crumb mixture, a few at a time; seal bag and shake to coat.
- 2. Arrange potato strips in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; drizzle with oil. Bake at 450° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, turning occasionally.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chutney, curry powder and salt. If desired, sprinkle parsley over fries. Serve with mango chutney mayonnaise. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups fries with 3 tablespoons mango chutney mayonnaise (prepared with fat-free mayonnaise) equals 365 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.