I am always looking for ways to use our abundant sweet potatoes. This casserole recipe is my own creation that I have made many times. I take it to family potlucks; it never fails to bring compliments! —Kathy Rairigh, Milford, Indiana
- 2-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cubed
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl; mash. Cool slightly. Stir in the egg whites, syrup and vanilla.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the pecans, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with apricots and cherries. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and the fruits are heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Casserole in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p35
Reviews for Contest-Winning Sweet Potato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review