Contest-Winning Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 2-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cubed
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl; mash. Cool slightly. Stir in the egg whites, syrup and vanilla.
- 2. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the pecans, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with apricots and cherries. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and the fruits are heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 186 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
Reviews for Contest-Winning Sweet Potato Casserole
"Made this for christmas dinner, nothing left! Doubled the topping ingredients as it didnt quite look like the picture but that was easy. Used the microwave to cook the potaotes then used the same dish to bake in the oven. Only mistake was to add the egg while it was a little hot so it cooked the egg whites a bit but after baking no one could tell. Definetly make again."
"This was awesome. I used light olive oil instea of butter to make it a bit healthier. I also added some more cinnamon. This tastes 10 times better the next day cold, not that its not good right from the oven either!"
"AMAZING! I love this dish! I've made it a few times now and I just can't get enough of this sweet potato! My friends and family love it too. Thanks for a great recipe! :)"