Contest-Winning Sunday Fried Chicken Recipe
The spicy coating for this chicken is one I've put together over the years. My recipe really got a workout when our four children (now married)were young and our family competed out on the rodeo circuit. Whenever the word spread I'd brought along fried chicken, the cowboys would crowd around! Today, my husband and I run an 800-acre cattle and quarter horse ranch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- Oil for frying
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Place about 1 cup flour mixture in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat. Store remaining mixture in an airtight container and save for another use.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown chicken on medium-high heat in 1/2 in. of oil on all sides; remove to a large shallow baking pan.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Sunday Fried Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC