Contest-Winning Sunday Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- Oil for frying
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Place about 1 cup flour mixture in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat. Store remaining mixture in an airtight container and save for another use.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown chicken on medium-high heat in 1/2 in. of oil on all sides; remove to a large shallow baking pan.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Sunday Fried Chicken
"Want to make but wondering if the 2 tablespoons salt is correct? Sounds like too much with the amount of flour and cornmeal listed. Plus 2 tablespoons garlic salt as well?? Even though it says to only use 1 cup of mix the ratio of ingredients seems wrong. Will those who have made please advise! Thanks."
"Wow! We loved this chicken. I always bought a product called "Dixie Fry," but haven't found it in stores lately. This mixture was similar in flavor so I'll have to try it with pork chops, catfish, etc."
"I made this recipe for my family and they loved it. I will be making this every time they want fried chicken.. it's a keeper !!"
"This was the most flavorful fried chicken recipe that I have found. I adjusted the amounts of some of the spices, based on what we like and it was still delicious. I will definitely make this again."
"I agree with bikerpam: even if you don't follow the recipe exactly, the coating blend is yummy and very versatile. I've used it on skinless, boneless chicken breast halves that were dipped in melted butter, coated with the flour mixture, and baked in a 9"x13" pan in a 350° oven."
"I mixed all the spices together and put it in a jar, I added a tablespoon of Fine's spice. I whisped an egg, 3 tablespoons of honey and dipped the chicken in the mixture before putting it into the flour mixture to better coat the pieces. Then I put the pieces into my deep fryer 365% till browned. Then I put the pieces into a baking pan that I put a wire rack in, covered it and cooked it to 160%. I then uncovered it to crispen it a little. It was wonderful! Next time I'm going to coat it with 1000 Island dressing before I coat it with the flour. There is so much you can do with these spices in this recipe, I used the spice mixture without the flour in a shaker for a rub for chicken breasts too. Great recipe!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.