Contest-Winning Sunday Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- Oil for frying
- In a small bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Place about 1 cup flour mixture in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat. Store remaining mixture in an airtight container and save for another use.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken on medium-high heat in 1/2 in. of oil on all sides; remove to a large shallow baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Sunday Fried Chicken
Sort By :
Tasty chicken--I like the addition of the cornmeal. Be careful not to crowd the chicken pieces in the baking pan, or the bottoms will be soggy.
Wow! We loved this chicken. I always bought a product called "Dixie Fry," but haven't found it in stores lately. This mixture was similar in flavor so I'll have to try it with pork chops, catfish, etc.
Ive been using the same oven fried chicken recipie for years, but wanted to experiment with something different & am glad that I did because this recipie was great! My whole family loved it. I used boneless, skinleess chicken as well & it worked out also.
I made this recipe for my family and they loved it. I will be making this every time they want fried chicken.. it's a keeper !!
This was the most flavorful fried chicken recipe that I have found. I adjusted the amounts of some of the spices, based on what we like and it was still delicious. I will definitely make this again.