Contest-Winning Summer Chicken Salad Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CITRUS DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Place chicken in a large skillet; add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Drain; cover and refrigerate. In a large bowl, combine greens and sliced strawberries; refrigerate.
- In a blender, combine the hulled strawberries, orange juice, oil, lemon juice and lemon peel, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5-6 minutes until slightly thickened. Cool slightly.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over greens and berries; toss to coat. Divide among four plates. Cut chicken into 1/8-in. slices; arrange over salads. Drizzle remaining dressing over chicken; sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Summer Chicken Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p29
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Summer Chicken Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2010
THIS SALAD DRESSING IS VERY GOOD. GOES REALLY WELL WITH THE CHICKEN