Contest-Winning Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts
"My daughters, grandkids…everyone looks forward to this mouthwatering mix of crunchy nuts, spices and fruit when they’re home in Utica, Illinois for the holidays," relates Joan Klinefelter. "And tucked in colorful tins, it makes a handy last-minute gift idea for busy hostesses or drop-in visitors."—Joan Klinefelter, Utica, Illinois
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and cayenne; set
- aside. In a large bowl, whisk egg white; add nuts and cranberries.
- Sprinkle with sugar mixture and toss to coat. Spread in a single
- layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 300° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring
- once. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 211 calories, 16 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.