- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup finely crushed cornflakes
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg; mix well. Gradually add dry cake mix and cornflakes. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining dough into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Carefully spread jam over crust. Sprinkle with reserved dough; gently press down. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Strawberry Jam Bars
"These bars are delicious! I made them for company and everyone loved them! I love the buttery crust combined with the sweet strawberry filling. I will definitely be making these again! So good!"
"Cornflakes? Kooky, but it works! I used raspberry preserves and it was amazing. I might try some chopped nuts on top next time...but don't omit the cornflakes...they are there for texture and they counterbalance some of the sweetness! These are seriously delish (and my 17 y.o. agrees)!"
"Yummy bars with ingredients easily found in my kitchen. Will make these again!"
"Cornflakes ?? In a jam bar?? Oh yes!! I made these and almost skipped the unusual addition of cornflakes -- glad I didn't make that mistake. To my surprise the slightly crunchy dough was super tasteful. The sticky dough was addicting to taste, just as the great bars themselves. Also, after cooled they cut easily and came out of pan nicely. If not all eaten before going onto serving platter, they look great. I may cut the baking time back about 5 minutes next time. Can't wait to try with different flavor jams."
"Wonderful! And so easy to make!"
"This site wouldn't allow me to give it 5 stars (was already set with 4). I would give it five stars. I have made them many times and they are very popular with my family."
"These are so easy to make, and they're super delicious! It is a great way to use some of the extra homemade jam I've made!"
"These bars are one of my three children's favorite treats, and are often requested to take to school for their whole class!"
"do you have to use corn flakes."
"These are very good.I add chopped walnuts to crust instead of cornflakes."