Contest-Winning Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
Just before the first frost of the season, we gather up all of the tomatoes from my mom’s garden to create this flavor-packed soup. Although it sounds like a lot of garlic, when it’s roasted, the garlic becomes mellow and almost sweet. We serve this soup with toasted bread spread with pesto.—Kaitlyn Lerdahl, Madison, Wisconsin
- 15 large tomatoes (5 pounds), seeded and quartered
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomatoes in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Combine 1/4 cup oil and garlic; drizzle over tomatoes. Toss to coat. Bake 15-20 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard skins.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add tomatoes, water, salt and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until flavors are blended. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in cream and heat through. Sprinkle with basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 276 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 421 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Roasted Tomato Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC