Contest-Winning Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
- 15 large tomatoes (5 pounds), seeded and quartered
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomatoes in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Combine 1/4 cup oil and garlic; drizzle over tomatoes. Toss to coat. Bake 15-20 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard skins.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add tomatoes, water, salt and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until flavors are blended. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in cream and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Roasted Tomato Soup
Sort By :
"Good way to use up tomatoes drier paste tomatoes work the best."
"This soup tasted wonderful. We used leftover tomatoes from our garden and a lot of them were small. So we did not take the time to peel them all but after blending the skin was not noticeable in the soup."
"My husband, who rarely likes new recipes, loved this one. It really wasn't very difficult or time consuming. He said he wants to make it for the firestation...so it must be a hit!"
"This soup was so yummy! I didn't have any fresh tomatoes, just not so hot ones from the grocery store and it was still good. I'm sure it's amazing with garden tomatoes!The only change I would make is to remove the tomato skins before baking. It was irritating to sit and wait til they cooled and then have to pick off all the skin before cooking. Plus, like someone else mentioned, you loose half the garlic."
"This is the best homemade tomato soup I have ever made. It makes more like 2 qts.Next time I make it I will use only 4 cloves of garlic."