Contest-Winning Rhubarb Pudding Recipe
My mother gave me the recipe for this old-fashioned pudding. It's a great way to use up day-old bread. Nothing enhances this traditional dessert better than garden-grown rhubarb. My husband and 8-year-old daughter just love it.
- 8 slices bread, lightly toasted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. Remove crusts from bread; cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 2. In a large saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from the heat. Stir in butter until melted. Pour over bread; let stand for 15 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon and salt; stir into bread mixture. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until set. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Rhubarb Pudding
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC