Contest-Winning Rhubarb Meringue Pie Recipe
My husband’s grandmother was a great cook and didn’t always share her secrets, so we are fortunate to have her recipe for rhubarb cream pie. I added one of my favorite crusts and a never-fail meringue. —Elaine Sampson, Colesburg, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 to 4-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and vinegar; sprinkle over crumb mixture. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- 3. Place rhubarb in crust. Whisk the sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks and cream; pour over rhubarb. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine 4 teaspoons sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add cornstarch mixture; beat on high until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 6. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 388 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC