Contest-Winning Rhubarb Meringue Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 to 4-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar; cut in shortening until crumbly. Combine egg and vinegar; sprinkle over crumb mixture. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- 3. Place rhubarb in crust. Whisk the sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks and cream; pour over rhubarb. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine 4 teaspoons sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add cornstarch mixture; beat on high until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 6. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 388 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Contest-Winning Rhubarb Meringue Pie
"I took this to a potluck last night and it disappeared quickly, with many compliments. The meringue turned out perfectly!"
"Perfect balance of sweet and tart. Crust is a very old family favorite, known by most as the "Pennsylvania Dutch" pie crust. The meringue is perfect, no weeping, just perfect! The filling is magnificent, very reminiscent of lemon meringue pie. Lovely. Wouldn't change a thing!"
"I threw out my old rhubarb cream custard pie recipe and will now use this one. Awesome!!"
"This is a great pie recipe. I had to bake it a bit longer than the recipe calls for - and the knife never did come out clean. I baked it until the crust looked done - about 70 min. in my 1950 gas oven. The pie set up nicely as it cooled. The meringue recipe is amazing. The meringue will hold up for 3 or 4 days (if your pie lasts that long!) I have made this pie for several occasions and it is a huge hit every time. My guests often tell me that this is the best pie they have ever eaten. A winner for sure."
"The taste is very similar to lemon merengue, with the sour taste of the rhubarb. It tastes wonderful, though it is a bit sugary for me. I wouldn't try to cut down on the sugar though because rhubarb is so sour. All in all it is a delicious pie."
"even if you don't like rhubarb....WOW it's so good,"
"I'm not all that crazy about rhubarb, but this pie is WOW, my friend and her husband are also not rhubarb fans and they were in awe!!!! I'm making again today and have even planted my own rhubarb plant."
"Awesome recipe!! First time making a meringue pie but this was VERY easy and I would have to agree it tastes even better when cold!!"
"This pie is absolutely wonderful! As it turns out I had an overabundance of rhubarb so even halving the ingredients again (also have a large deep pie dish) it turned out superb! A marvelous meringue recipe - as she said 'fool proof'. Thank you for including it in your cooking school book."
"My mother made this pie and it was wonderful. I grew eating rhubarb and love its tangy flavor. This pie is perfect just as it is."
"love this pie - the meringue is the best recipe I've found - really holds up"
"I have make this recipe all summer, I must make at least 8-10 pies..this is the best recipe I have ever tried..thank you"
"This is a five star!! I can't get the star to click on five so I've written it! This was a very good pie. I added apples as well as the rhubarb. It would be nice with cream with or without the meringue. We liked it cold."
"This was very nice but I did add apples as well as the rhubarb. It would be nice with cream with or without the meringue on top.We thought it tasted better cold."