Contest-Winning Potato Pan Rolls Recipe
Beautiful color and light-as-a-feather texture make these rolls our family's favorite for holiday meals. I won the Reserve Champion award at a 4-H yeast bread competition with this recipe. -LeAnne Hofferichter, Floresville, Texas
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; cool liquid to 110° to 115°. Mash potatoes; set aside 1 cup to cool to 110°-115° (save remaining potatoes for another use).
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in reserved potato liquid; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the reserved mashed potatoes, butter, honey, oil, eggs, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide into 30 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place 10 balls each in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 165 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Potato Pan Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC