This robust soup is a family favorite, and it's a big hit with my canasta group as well. I top each bowl with a slice of toasted bread and cheese, but you can have fun incorporating other pizza toppings such as cooked sausage. —Jackie Brossard Kitchener, Ontario
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni, quartered
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 slices French bread, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, bring the tomatoes, soup and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Mash with a potato masher. Add the pepperoni, red and green peppers, mushrooms, garlic, sage, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Ladle into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of bread and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and bubbly. Yield: 10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Pizza Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p29
Reviews for Contest-Winning Pizza Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review