- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fully cooked ham, ground (4 cups)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon mustard, salt and pepper. Add ham and pork; mix well. Shape into eight oval patties; set aside.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Place a pineapple slice between each ham patty. (Refrigerate remaining pineapple and juice for another use.) Carefully place in an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Pat patties around pineapple to form a loaf.
- Combine brown sugar, remaining mustard and reserved juice; pour a small amount over loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with remaining juice mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Pineapple Ham Loaf
"I made this recipe as written except I did not have pineapple rings. My family and I were not crazy about the flavor of the Ham Loaf. My problem is that when I worked at the hospital they made a Ham Loaf that was to die for (well not quite ;). Their loaf was made, I'm sure, with just ham as the meat, there was no sausage or ground beef as all the recipes I have looked at include. So in all fairness I went into this with a preconceived idea of how a ham loaf should taste and this did not meet my expectations......sadly!"
"This tasted exactly like hot dogs, it's disgusting. How did this make it into the TOH Easter Holiday I'll never know. Does anyone test these recipes before they go to print?"
"My mum would make ham loaf all the time (she hates meat loaf) I used to get so tired of it!! Have not had a recipe for it until now!! Mum never put in pineapple though! Ccan't wait to try it!!"