Contest-Winning Pesto Veggie Pizza Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1-3/4 cups coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the Parmesan cheese, oil, sugar, basil, salt, all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Roll dough into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Prick dough with a fork. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil for 3-5 minutes or until wilted. Drain and place in a food processor. Add pesto; cover and process until blended.
- 5. Spread over pizza crust. Top with broccoli, green pepper, green onions, garlic and mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 364 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 543 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.