- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, oil, milk and mustard. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese and onions.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Peppery Cheese Bread
"I cut this in 2, made into small biscuits"
"This bread was easy to make and very good. I used sour cream instead of plain yogurt since that is all I had. This had great flavor."
"My family loved this bread the one time I made it. I did not have yogurt on hand so I substituded sour cream. It was so moist and delicious, I may just use sour cream when I make it again, soon! I also used sharp cheddar cheese. I would never call this bread bland."
"I thought this recipe looked familiar. I've been making this bread since it appeared in a BH&G bread recipe booklet years ago. Same exact recipe word-for-word. I thought TOH recipes were supposed to be at least somewhat original. I'm very disappointed in the plagiarism."
"Today, I'm baking this bread AGAIN. Serving it w/ clam chowder. I'm not much of a baker, but this recipe is both easy and incredibly tasty. I'm so glad to have found it."