Contest-Winning Pecan Caramel Bars
My co-workers request these sweet bars all the time, so I make sure to take some for our group lunches and at Christmastime. The butterscotch chips make them different from most pecan bars. They’re a great way to feature our Georgia pecans, and we call them irresistible!
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugar and butter. Press
- into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10
- minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool for 10 minutes on a
- wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the milk, egg and maple flavoring. Stir in the
- butterscotch chips. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake
- for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut
- into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 371 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.