My co-workers request these sweet bars all the time, so I make sure to take some for our group lunches and at Christmastime. The butterscotch chips make them different from most pecan bars. They’re a great way to feature our Georgia pecans, and we call them irresistible!
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the milk, egg and maple flavoring. Stir in the butterscotch chips. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Pecan Caramel Bars in Country October/November 2005, p49
Reviews for Contest-Winning Pecan Caramel Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2012
"Tasty and chewy"
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2011
"I have made pecan bars from many different recipes, and this is by far the best. Every time I make them, someone asks for the recipe. The butterscotch chips is what does it!"