Contest-Winning Peach Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 medium peaches, peeled and sliced or 4 cups frozen unsweetened peach slices
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in the sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot cream mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Place peaches in a blender, cover and process until pureed. Stir into the custard. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- 4. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze, stirring before freezing each batch. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 3 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 306 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.