- 2 cans (29 ounces each) sliced peaches
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Drain peaches, reserving 1/2 cup syrup for the sauce. In a large bowl, combine peaches, brown sugar, tapioca, cinnamon if desired, lemon juice and vanilla. Transfer to an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs. Drop by spoonfuls onto peach mixture; spread evenly. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour, salt, butter and reserved peach syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add lemon juice. Serve with cobbler and ice cream if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Peach Cobbler
"When I read "butterscotch" I had to give it a try! No doubt it was a contest winner! Delicious!"
"I did not change anything excellent"
"It was interesting to read the reviews for my peach cobbler. I'm so glad most of you loved it. If you had problems with the crust, rest assured, I did a few times too. It seemed to happen when the batter was too thick, and didn't spread easily. I have never used frozen peaches, but It could certainly be done."
"Turned out delicious. We loved it without the topping."
"Just came out of the the oven. I double the topping, made the sauce and had vanilla ice cream with it. I have five children and they loved it."
"This was really good. Loved the sauce. My husband liked it too but he likes another peach dessert that I make in the microwave alot better. I'd probably make this again though because I usually have all the ingredients on hand."
"Best cobbler we have ever eaten"
"It was very good. I didn't get a cake-like consistency from the topping, though. It was a hard shell with unbaked topping underneath. Will try it again to see if I did something wrong."
"This was AWESOME and easy to make! Thank you my fellow Alaskan for sharing this recipe. We love it here in Sitka. The topping was easy and really added to the flavor. I took it to a dinner party with 10 people and they all agreed the topping put it over the top. I took home an empty dish, which is the best compliment there is!"