Contest-Winning Orange Blueberry Muffins Recipe
With their refreshing blend of citrus and blueberry flavors, these tender muffins are perfect for breakfast or a snack. My mother and husband really enjoy the sweet nut topping on these treats.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small bowl, combine oats and orange juice. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Combine the oil, eggs and oat mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries and orange peel.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 304 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC