- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine oats and orange juice. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Combine the oil, eggs and oat mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries and orange peel.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Orange Blueberry Muffins
"We loved this recipe! The oats really add a lot of body to the muffins! And the citrus really brightens it up !"
"My whole family loved these! They were very flavorful and moist. I used 1/2 the orange juice called for (only had 1 orange) and used buttermilk for the rest of the liquid. They were perfect."
"The only thing I could recommend after looking at the recipe which certainly contains enough orange zest and juice would be to add some vanilla extract. I think this adds to most any baking recipe. I guess another extract could also be used, e.g. lemon, etc., depending on your taste buds."
"Made these muffins this morning; they need something (perhaps more orange peel?) to inhance the taste. They are so bland. Anyone else feel this way?"