Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder Recipe
- 4 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the reserved bacon; sprinkle over each serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder(25)
Sort By :
Had this for a Christmas get-together with my husband's golfing buddies & their wives. Everyone loved it. It is definitely a keeper for my recipe book.
Great recipe!! Creamy and yet light. I followed the recipe, however, I added another can of clams. Perfect with salad and baget Will make this a favorite!
Very good chowder. Poured off most of the bacon drippings, saved about 2 TB for sautéing. I used 3, 10oz. cans of Crown Prince whole wild caught clams. I also just used the juice from the cans, strained. The fat free half & half worked beautifully. I used white whole wheat pastry flour which worked well for thickening. Husband says to rate this chowder at 4 stars,I thought 5 stars!
This was excellent!!! The difference is using the bacon drippings to saute the celery and onion.
Absolutely amazing. I'll be making this for years to come.
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Clam Chowder Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >