Contest-Winning Mushroom Wild Rice Recipe
This colorful casserole is a standout from my mother's collection of family recipes. Excellent texture and taste guarantee it won't play second fiddle to either the turkey or the pumpkin pie! -Charlene Baert, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, wild rice, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in brown rice. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute the mushrooms, onion, peppers and celery until vegetables are tender. Stir in broth and remaining salt. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; stir in almonds and bacon. Drain rice; add mushroom mixture.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 220 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 533 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Mushroom Wild Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC