Contest-Winning Mushroom Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled parsnips
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, onions, broth, wine, tomato sauce, parsnips, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and chili powder. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes, meat and vegetables. Yield: 10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Mushroom Pot Roast
Sort By :
"This is a great recipe that I'm planning on doing again. The meat was tender and the taste was great! The only thing that I would try next time is to season the meat the night before with some Adobo OR a "sofrito" rub (peppers,onions,garlic,cilantro and salt)."
"I made this for a client and they loved it. Being able to put it in the Crock Pot was an added bonus."
"Because I have a 3qt slow cooker I halved the recipe. No Problem.I was not sure about the parsnips, never having them before, but they absorbed the juices and seasoning and were very flavorful. Making the second half today."
"This had excellent flavor, but I put it in the oven."
"I thought this was very good. I didnt' have wine so I subbed extra beef broth and subbed the shitake mushrooms with regular mushrooms becausue of the expense. I thought it was good and would be even better with the wine and mushrooms.. Also, It made alot of gravy so I would think you really don't need as much liquid next time."